(Most information taken from front of 1994 - 2003 school log book)
1861 - School built
1870 - School subject to Inspection - supported by Government grants
1894 - enlarged
1905 - 2 classrooms and small hall built
1907 - 1 extra room built
10th January 1908 - A fire destroys the thatched roof and most of building. The fire may have started from a spark from the chimney or oily rags thrown onto the fire after cleaning the oil lamps which were used for lighting. A telegram was sent to the Fire Brigade in Chelmsford, but it did not have a signature, so they would not turn out as they were not sure who would be paying their expenses. The Billericay Fire Brigade started off instead, with their horse-drawn manual engine which had trouble getting up Crays Hill. The children from the nearby school came out to help push, but when they heard that the engine was going to the Wickford School they decided not to help and returned to their classes! There were only the brick walls and some window frames left by the time the Fire Brigade arrived.
November 1908 - Rebuilt school reopens. Children had been having lessons in a temporary classroom in the Castle Hotel.
* * * * * * * * * * * * *