|Welcome to the Nairn Academy|
|Nairn Academy is a Secondary School serving the Nairn area of Highland, Scotland.|
Nairn Academy is a six-year comprehensive school which was founded in 1832. The school serves the burgh and former county of Nairn and has a roll which has varied, recently, between 770 and 830 pupils. Until 1953, the school had been known as Rose’s Academical Institution, in honour of an early benefactor, Captain James Rose, RN. From 1953 onwards it has been known as Nairn Academy and was formerly housed in what is now Rosebank Primary School. By 1969, the school had grown to outstrip its former site and a new building was planned and subsequently erected at the western end of the town. The new school was first occupied in January, 1976, and was formally opened in June of that year.
The present school building was designed to be as flexible as possible to cope with change. Its lay-out, though unconventional, is purposeful and practical. The building is largely single-storey, and, in addition to normal classrooms, there are open-plan areas eg in English, Mathematics, Social Subjects, Special Education and in three of the practical departments - Art and Design, Technological Education and Home Economics. The Business Studies, Physical Education and Science departments have their own specialist facilities. There is also a Library which is staffed by a full-time Librarian. The school is very well equipped and is maintained to a high standard.
An extension was opened in August 1993 which provides specialized accommodation. Included in the area are toilet facilities for pupils with physical handicaps, a physiotherapy suite and teaching areas for pupils with severe or profound learning difficulties.