Welcome to Ysgol Carreglefn
The school was started in 1867 by John Thomas in the Chapel's Schoolhouse. By 1874 70 children attended the school and by 1905 the number had risen to as much as 92 children. In 1899 the school was moved to its present building, Carreg - Lefn Primary School. The school was built using stone from Fferam Gyd Quarry. There was no running water or kitchen in the school back then, and the toilets were at the bottom of the yard. There were only two rooms in the school to begin with, but a partition was built in the largest room in order to create a third room..
Children attended school back then until they were thirteen years old, and usually they left school to become maids or farm hands. The older children were in charge of carrying water to the school and schoolhouse every day.
According to the log book there was considerable illness back in the old days, and on one occasion the school was closed for six weeks so that the children could get better.
Today, Carreg Lefn Primamry School has 38 children, and two full time staff.