The story of Michael School began in 1685 when Bishop Levinz was instrumental in creating a Parish School which was sited where St. Michael’s Hall is today. Then, in 1763, in order to improve accommodation for the staff, Bishop Hildesley purchased and endowed houses for the master and mistress.
At the beginning of the 19th century the population began to increase and as a result a new Parish School was built in 1839 accommodating 120 children. This is today’s St. Michael’s Hall or The Old School as it was known for many years.
Church control of Michael School ended in 1872 with the passing of the first public Education Act. Under this Act each parish elected its own School Board which was empowered to levy an education rate. Even so, most children continued to pay weekly school fees of a few pence. In those early days children and teachers faced many difficulties and the work of the school was continually interrupted by sickness and epidemics, bad weather conditions and the need for scholars to provide labour on their parent’s farms and crofts.
At last in 1892 all school fees were abolished and the overcrowded, insanitary, old school was abandoned for the present one in 1894.
School boards were abolished in 1921 when education was placed under a central authority in Douglas. Under the reorganisation in 1946 all children over 11 years were transferred to central schools. As a result of the expansion in the sixties and seventies there was an extensive programme of modernisation and refurbishment in Michael School.
In January 1991 a new school office was built. In July 1991 major work commenced on building two new classrooms, a resources room and additional toilets. A new school entrance was created and the car parking area was tarmaced.
An extension comprising of a new sports hall, community room, two classrooms, a library and I.T. suite was officially opened in January, 2002 providing places for 200 children and modern facilities for the school and the community.