Welcome to Gordon Infant School
Gordon Infant School was built in 1893 in the era of Queen Victoria. The original building plans are still in the school and show that the existing hall, ICT suite, library and 2 classrooms were all originally classrooms for between 76 and 120 pupils!
The school is a beautiful red brick building in a commanding position at the top of a steep hill. This position gives excellent view of Rochester Castle and Rochester Cathedral. On the front of the school there is a large triangle of Victorian handmade terracotta tiles depicting the fleur de lis and Tudor rose pattern that is found on the new school logo.
The long history of the school is evident all around, not just in the physical aspects of, for example, the imposing bell tower, the Victorian features and wooden panelling, but also in the fact that so many generations of local families have and still do, attend the school.
Around the school, the lower brickwork shows clear signs of wear and tear where pupils 100 years ago sharpened their slate sticks for use on the slate used in place of books and paper.
Over the years, many changes have occurred to the buildings at Gordon Infants. The outside toilets and mobile classrooms were replaced by a modern single storey block containing 5 classes at the top of the playground.
Although now over 112 years old, the school is in excellent condition and combines traditional values, Victorian features and modern facilities.