The Academy advertises each year that it will accept applications from families within the local area.
The parent(s) of all applicants, including those with statements, complete a Common Application Form (CAF) obtained from their local LEA and return it to them by Friday 20 October 2006.
The CAF may also be completed on-line and this facility will remain open until the closing date for paper forms i.e. 20 October 2006. The facility is available through Bexley’s website at www.bexley.gov.uk/admissions.
The Academy will admit students representative of all levels of ability among applicants for admission to the Academy. The agreed admission number is 210 which cannot be exceeded. There were 440 preferences (first to sixth) for places in September 2006.
Where the number of applicants exceeds this figure, applications will be based on the use of banding. All applicants will be tested using NFER Non-Verbal Reasoning Tests and placed into ability bands. Where there are more children in each band than places, 23 or 24 children will be admitted from each band on the basis of the criteria set out below which will be applied in order:
- Students already attending the Primary Section of the Academy
- Students with statements of special educational needs where the Business Academy is named on the statement
- Looked after children (children in public care
- Siblings of students currently on roll at the Academy (Primary or Secondary) i.e. a natural brother or sister, or a half brother or sister, or legally adopted brother or sister; who will be living with them at the same address on the date of application to the Academy
- Children who live within the nearest radial distance (direct line distance between the applicant’s home to the Academy’s main entrance) to the Academy on the close of the published admissions application date
Where applications exceed places, a waiting list will operate and is maintained by the Academy.
Parents have the right to appeal. In such cases parents should forward their appeal in writing to the Clerk to the Governors, at the Academy address, within 14 days of hearing that their child has not been allocated a place. The Appeals Panel will then listen to the appeal.
The NVR tests will be held at the Academy during the week beginning Monday 27 November 2006.
The LEA will send out offers for places at the Academy on 1 March 2007.