Ashley Road is situated in the West End of Aberdeen, close to the city centre.
The development of the individual child is central to the aims and philosophy of Ashley Road School. We believe that school should provide a rewarding, challenging and enjoyable experience for staff and children. Children will become successful learners when they are enthusiastic and motivated and will achieve their full potential in a warm and supportive atmosphere.
At Ashley Road School we aim to provide in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere,
an education which is relevant to the needs of children today, while at the same time maintaining those traditional values which have withstood the test of time.
We provide a full education for nursery and primary children.
We aim to provide a curriculum which:
- is broad, balanced and provides for continuity, choice and progression
- is well planned and properly resourced to meet the needs of individuals, groups and classes
- provides appropriately challenging courses and programmes of study, developing in line with current local and national guidelines
We aim to provide a programme of learning to maximise pupils’ attainment which:
- ensures that pupils achieve the highest level possible for their own ability
- sets appropriate targets which are reviewed and evaluated through monitoring
- improves transition between stages
LEARNING AND TEACHING
We aim to ensure the quality of learning and teaching by:
- providing high quality learning experiences which are child-centred, activity based, interactive and meaningful
- promoting a variety of teaching styles which develop pupils’ own responsibility for
- learning and encourage creative and independent thinking and an enterprising attitude
- using an appropriate range of assessment approaches, both formal and informal
- communicating effectively with parents about their children’s progress and development and providing an effective response to their views and enquiries
SUPPORT FOR PUPILS
We aim to support pupils’ learning by:
- creating opportunities for every pupil’s moral, social, physical, cultural and spiritual development
- ensuring the care, welfare and protection of pupils
- providing structured and effective support for pupils with differing abilities and aptitudes and implementing appropriate ASN procedures
We aim to create a positive ethos of achievement by:
- creating an ethos which promotes self esteem, confidence and positive attitudes in which pupils, staff and parents feel valued
- providing equal opportunities and promoting equality and fairness by fostering an inclusive, multi-cultural, anti-racist, anti-sexist approach in all aspects of school life
- staff having consistent and realistically high expectations of attitude and behaviour
- encouraging parental involvement and regular communication and liaison with children’s services and the wider community
We hope all children’s experience at Ashley Road will be a happy and productive one. We strive to create an environment in which all children can enjoy their nursery/primary years, thereby preparing them for the future.