The school of Inverallochy was established in 1841. The expense of the buildings was defrayed by contributions from the Fisherman of Inverallochy and Cairnbulg and others, from Colonel Charles Fraser of Inverallochy, and a Government Grant of £108.10.
It was at the time called the General Assembly's School Rathen, but the Heritors of Rathen immediately made it a second Parochial school, under the name of Rathen Coastside Parochial School and assigned to it a salary of £25.13.4. It has been generally known as the School of Inverallochy.
The dimensions of the School were 36 feet long, 20 feet wide and 14 feet high, and it was seated for 96 scholars. But it was soon found necessary to remove one of the tables, and the number of settings was thus reduced to 88.
Mr. Robert Summers was the first teacher, and was appointed in 1841. In 1845 he resigned and Mr. George Mathieson M.A. from the General Assembly's School, Glenfoundland, was appointed Master and began work on the 14th January 1846.
In 1861 the Masters salary was raised to £37.10s.
In 1866 the attendance had increased to so great a number that it was found necessary to enlarge the school rooms and Colonel Fraser applied to the Heritors of Rathen, who handsomely bore the whole expense. It was extended in length to 54 feet and seated for 130.
In 1872 the Education Act came into operation, and the whole establishment passed to the Rathen School Board. The members of the school Board were the Rev. John F. M. Cock, Minister of Rathen, Chairman and the Rev. Alexander Cobban F.C., minister of Rathen, Sir Alexander Anderson, Aberdeen, Andrew Lightwood, farmer, Middletack, George Cruickshank, farmer, North Cortes, William Jamieson Lawrence, General Merchant, Gowanhill, Charles Mollison, farmer, Manor Farm, Memsie.
It will observed that none of the fishermen are on the Board. The tenure of their houses is such that they had no voice in the election and pay no direct rates. They have thus no place in the management of their own school.
The attendance at the school now became very great. The fishermen have for years been becoming more alert to the advantages of School Education and consequently send their children to School at an earlier age, and continue them longer, and with greater regularity than they did in past times. An elderly woman, who taught about forty children, discontinued her School.
A Salutary dread of the consequences of the compulsory clauses of the Education Act, has at once raised the gross attendance by about 40. In consequence, the average daily attendance about the end of 1873 was about 240.
In October 1872, the Rathen School Board resolved to build a Girls' School for the villages, but in order to accommodate the landward district adjoining, they fixed the place where it was to be built at a mile distance from the villages.
The fishermen immediately petitioned the Board of Education against the direction, offering to contribute handsomely to the buildings, if they should be placed in the immediate neighbourhood of the villages.
On the 31st of December 1873, the School Board appointed Miss Mary Jane Taylor as Assistant Teacher.
On account of the excessive attendance, the fishermen have arranged to give the site of a Meeting Hall in the village of Cairnbulg to the Infant Teacher and her department until the school buildings are ready. This they most readily granted, and at the same time agreed to put a stove into it at their own expense.
1874. 12 January. This day the School was opened after the Christmas Holidays, and Miss Taylor commenced her work. As the stove had not yet been put into the Meeting House, she has had to do her work in a room of the Master's House.
In the sewing department, she takes a portion of the girls one-hour in the forenoon, and another portion one-hour in the afternoon.
Besides the Master and Mistress, the School Staff consists of Five Monitors, namely,
A temporary timetable is constructed, according to which the school is taught as far as circumstances will allow, but from the inadequacy of the accommodation to the attendance, it cannot be closely adhered to.
19 January. Still no stove and the inadequacy of the accommodation is very much felt.
21 January. This day, the Rev. John F.M. Cock, chairman of the Board, called at the school.
26 January. All things same as before. Present today 244. Mr Kerr, Government Inspector, is to inspect the School tomorrow.
School inspected January 27/1874 by Mr Kerr, H.M.I.
2 February. The Meeting House in the village being now ready, the Junior Classes in the school were this day marched away to that place under the charge of Miss Taylor and three of the Monitors. The timetable is now superseded, and one for each department will be prepared when the classes are duly organized.
Headteachers of our school
Opening of the School - 1965