Education in UK
Add school to
Staffordshire University

Last modified:
American InterContinental University - London
The Norton Knatchbull School - Ashford
Gossops Green Community Primary School - Gossops Green
Great Ballard School - Chichester
Georgian Gardens Community Primary School - Rustington
Fordwater School - Chichester
Fonthill Lodge School - East Grinstead
Fairway Infant School - Copthorne
Elm Grove Infant School - Littlehampton
Elm Grove First School - Worthing
Yew Tree Primary School - Yew Tree Estate
Yew Tree Community Primary School - Aston
Woodway Park School & Community College - Coventry
Woodthorpe Primary School - Kings Heath
Woodrush Community High School - Specialist Technology College - Birmingham
Woodlands Primary School - Willenhall
Woodfield Infant School - Penn
Wood Green High School College of Sport - Wood Green Road
Wolverhampton Grammar School - Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton Girls High School - Wolverhampton
Wollescote Primary School - Wollescote
Wodensfield Primary School - Wednesfield
Wodensborough Community Technology College - Wednesbury
Withymoor Primary School - Off Turners Lane Quarry Bank
Willenhall School Sports College - Willenhall
Whitehouse Common Primary School - Sutton Coldfield
Edward Bryant Primary School - Bognor Regis
Eastergate C E Primary School - Eastergate
West House School - Edgbaston
East Wittering Community Primary School - East Wittering
Welford Primary School - Handsworth
East Preston Junior School - East Preston
Wednesfield Village Primary School - Wednesfield
East Preston Infant School - East Preston
Wednesfield College (Specialist Engineering School) - Wednesfield
Durrington Middle School - Durrington
Ward End Primary School - Ward End
Walsgrave C E Primary School - Coventry
Durrington First School - Durrington

Llangennech Community Junior School
Llangennech, SA14 8YB, UK Llanelli
Tel./Fax 01554 820284

Welcome to Llangennech Community Junior School


The school which was built in 1952 is situated in the midst of playing fields on the east side of the village of Llangennech in Carmarthenshire, South Wales. It is only half a mile from Junction 48 on the M4.

This school:
  • Offers education through the medium of Welsh or English.
  • Offers a caring and happy atmosphere for learning.
  • Emphasises the development of the child as an individual and learning and academic success.
  • Stresses high standards of courtesy, dress and behaviour.
  • Offers excellent facilities and resources.
  • Offers many extra-curricular activities.


By the mid 1800's  the day school gained more importance and popularity and the Sunday Schools were left behind to a certain degree, although they ensured the survival of the Welsh language in the village at a time when virtually all other education was provided through the medium of English.
Daily schools had been held in many places in the village including Capel Salem yr Allt and the vestries in the other chapels.
At the beginning of 1850, there was only one school in Llangennech, the school in the two small cottages below the church

The School Cottages

National School

The first purpose-built school was opened in 1850 as a 'National Girls School' . This building is still used today as Church Hall. The boys remained in the former school cottages until 1874 until they joined the girls making a total of 200 pupils. The school, however, was too small  and it was decided to hold a number of fund-raising concerts in order to pay for  an extension. By 1886 the school could cater for 400 pupils.
The big problem with the National School was that it was run by the church, and the Nonconformists who outnumbered the church members in the village by four to one, had no say in its running. A committee from Bethesda, Bryn Seion and Salem was formed and fought to have a school that could provide a non-sectarian education.
The result of this was that another school was opened in the village on the 3rd May 1886, and this was known as the British school. There was no purpose-built building for it, so the older children were housed in Salem vesry and the infants went to Bryn Seion.

Salem Chapel

Llangennech British School - 1888
The new British school at the bottom of Maes Road was officially opened in December,1888. However, the children did not attend the school until the 4th February 1889, due to a severe outbreak of scarletina in the village. The attendance on the opening day was 106. The cost of the building was £1300  raised by local tinplate workers and proceeds from concerts, tea parties  and finally a voluntary rate.

Here are some extracts from the School Log Book  written by the headteacher in the early 1900's :-
"Have decided to visit the homes of those children who owe one shilling as fees......."
"Haymaking and bathing accounts for the absence of many boys......."
"I find that the children are being kept home this week for the purpose of gathering blackberries."
"The attendance this week, owing to the local Fair, Thanksgiving Services and potato gathering has suffered greatly."

Llangennech British School - Class 1 - 1930

Llangennech Junior  School - Opened 1952
On the 15th September 1952 , pupils attended the new primary school for the first time. A short service was conducted at the old British school  before leaving, and at 10 o'clock, all classes were ready to move. It was a dry morning and Maes Road was lined with well wishers to witness the children walking to the new school.
The building was occupied at 11.45a.m. by 184 pupils.

Here are the details of the new classes in 1952:

Group I   - Mr.Glyn Williams      30 pupils
Group II  - Miss Hilda Hall         30 pupils
Group III - Mr.John Lawrence    33 pupils
Group IV - Miss D.A.Thomas     34 pupils
Group V  - Mrs.E.T.Lawrence    26 pupils
Group VI - Mr.Walter Evans      31 pupils

The Headteacher was Mr.Emrys Jones

School Trip to London - 1952


Operation Christmas Child

There was an overwhelming response from the  pupils yet again this year to the Operation Christmas Child Appeal  set up by ‘Samaritan Purse’.

Children were asked to fill a shoe box full of items such as toothbrushes, toothpastes, soaps and gifts suitable for young girls and boys. They also wrapped them up in Christmas wrapping paper, ready to be sent to Third World countries in time for Christmas

Click here for link to Operation Christmas Child

Trees For All Woodland Trust
As part of the Woodland Trust's "Tree for All" Campaign, class 4E/5E planted trees at Spartiate Grove. It is owned by the Woodland Trust at Coed Tregib, Llandeilo.  Spartiaite was one of Nelson's ships that fought in the Battle of  Trafalgar. This is one of many tree planting events going on throughout the country as part of the celebrations of 200 years since the Battle of Trafalgar.

Pupils digging hard

Ready to go home after planting trees

The school collected a staggering £2300 for the NSPCC in their spellathon. Well done all to of you.

primary schools in Llanelli, secondary schools in Llanelli, schools in Llanelli

Editorial office:
tel. + 48 (094)