Upton Westlea is situated just outside the City of Chester. We are a small school with 120 children aged 4-11 and a 26 place nursery class (26 morning 26 afternoon). We also have a Speech and Language Unit which has places for 10 children with speech and language problems.
Although small in number we have a spacious building with a well stocked library and technology room, the latter having a computer suite. We also have a large playing field and playground which gives the children plenty of space in which to play.
Our policy is to encourage parents to come into school to help in whatever way they can. We have a fund raising group who work hard to raise money for the school. We also have strong links with the community and encourage local people to come into our special assemblies which are held weekly.
Children enter school in the term following their 3rd birthday. Throughout the early years of nursery and reception experiences are given to the children which build on what they already know and can do. Full time and part time teaching assistants work alongside our teaching staff to give an excellent level of support. As children move through the school we aim to continue to build on this firm foundation encouraging a positive attitude to learning and behaviour. We aim to keep our classes to below 30.
We aim to teach all our work in a well structured way which is enjoyable to our children. We differentiate our work in order to meet the need of all abilities, encouraging children to reach their full potential. High standards are set throughout the school in all areas of the curriculum and Personal, Social and Moral Development. We believe in taking teaching and learning beyond the classroom where possible. Day trips and longer term residential trips are arranged throughout the year.
The areas of the curriculum covered are as follows:
We also encourage our children to develop and broaden their interests by providing a wide range of extra curricular activities. In 2000 we were given a Government award for substantial improved results 1999-2000. In 2005 we achieved our Basic Skills Quality Mark for the second time. In 2004 we achieved our Investors in People. In 2006 we achieved our Artsmark Award. In 2007 we achieved our Investors in People for the second time.
Mathematics, English (which includes Drama), Science, Computer Studies (all classes have access to the Internet), Geography, History, Art, Music, Physical Education (which includes Dance, Gymnastics, Athletics, Football, Cricket, Rounders, Hockey, Netball and Swimming), Religious Education, Citizenship and Design Technology and French.
Extra Curricular Activities
We believe that children should be offered the opportunity to extend their participation in a subject and excel beyond the classroom. Our clubs offer children the chance to do this in small group situations.
From the age of 7 children are offered the opportunity to attend residential trips. These are subsidised by our school budget but parents are asked to give a donation towards the overall cost.
Over the year the extra curricular activities offered are:-
- Food Technology
- Homework Club
- Residential Trips
- Playground Games
The inspection team noted that the school has many strengths. Some of these are:
- Effective teaching provides the children with a good start to their education when they enter the nursery at 3.
- Good standards in Teaching and Learning are maintained throughout the school.
- Pupils make good progress by the age of 11.
- In 2004, results for 11 year olds indicated that standards in English and Maths were well above average based on prior attainment compared to similar schools and very high Science (Westlea was 5th out of 260 Primary schools for progress made in 2004) and in the top 5% of schools nationally for progress made in 2006.
- Standards in Information and Computer Technology and RE are above that expected.
- Behaviour is very good.
- Pupils' personal qualities are well developed.
- Pupils have very positive relationships with each other and adults.
- Pupils are happy at school.
- Very good support is provided for children with Special Educational Needs.
- Pupils are given very good care and guidance by staff.
- The Curriculum is good and provides very good opportunities for extra curricular enrichment.
- Accommodation and resources are very good.
- Leadership and Management of the school are very good.
Out of the 29 overall judgements made, 96% were good to very good with only the area of college links being satisfactory.
Westlea is a good school, which continually aims to do its best for its pupils.