The school was originally founded in 1896 as part of the Parish of St Andrew's and opened as an infants school in 1905 serving the dual purpose of church and school.
This picture shows a class of school children in c1920, the teacher then was Mrs Helen Peebles shown here with two volunteer helpers, Mr and Mrs Robinson.
As the local population increased so the demands for a larger school became inevitable.
At this stage the school took on County Primary School status, and the first phase of the present school building began on the site of Shores Green Farm in 1975 and opened in 1976. At the same time, the school ceased to be C of E controlled and became county maintained. Because of a lack of funds the second phase of the school, scheduled for 1977, was axed but because phase one constituted the Infant Department, without hall or kitchen, the old school remained in use housing the Headteacher's office and three classrooms. Dinners were cooked in the old school kitchen and a van arrived at dinner times to take meals to the children in the new school.
It was a familiar sight to see Mr Moorehead jogging between the two schools several times a day. This continued until 1984 when the Community Centre was built next to the school and the local Authority took advantage of the facility which is used by the school throughout the day. The picture below shows an historic scene outside the old school of Mr John Moorhead with his school children and some of his staff, they are getting ready to move up the hill to the new school on the first day of the Spring Term, January 1984 when St Andrew's Church closed as a school.
Further extensions have been added in 1992 and 2000 to improve the reception area, administration and classroom accommodation. The School is now known as a Community Primary School, truly serving the village and surrounding areas, providing a sound education through a caring family philosophy. Many of the parents and grandparents of our present pupils attended this school and look upon it with pride and high esteem. For the children of today it offers a sense of belonging, because of the people of the past who also came through its doors and shared in the education it offered. History has a special meaning to all who attend this school today.