Education in UK
Add school to
Staffordshire University

Last modified:
American InterContinental University - London
The Norton Knatchbull School - Ashford
Gossops Green Community Primary School - Gossops Green
Great Ballard School - Chichester
Georgian Gardens Community Primary School - Rustington
Fordwater School - Chichester
Fonthill Lodge School - East Grinstead
Fairway Infant School - Copthorne
Elm Grove Infant School - Littlehampton
Elm Grove First School - Worthing
Yew Tree Primary School - Yew Tree Estate
Yew Tree Community Primary School - Aston
Woodway Park School & Community College - Coventry
Woodthorpe Primary School - Kings Heath
Woodrush Community High School - Specialist Technology College - Birmingham
Woodlands Primary School - Willenhall
Woodfield Infant School - Penn
Wood Green High School College of Sport - Wood Green Road
Wolverhampton Grammar School - Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton Girls High School - Wolverhampton
Wollescote Primary School - Wollescote
Wodensfield Primary School - Wednesfield
Wodensborough Community Technology College - Wednesbury
Withymoor Primary School - Off Turners Lane Quarry Bank
Willenhall School Sports College - Willenhall
Whitehouse Common Primary School - Sutton Coldfield
Edward Bryant Primary School - Bognor Regis
Eastergate C E Primary School - Eastergate
West House School - Edgbaston
East Wittering Community Primary School - East Wittering
Welford Primary School - Handsworth
East Preston Junior School - East Preston
Wednesfield Village Primary School - Wednesfield
East Preston Infant School - East Preston
Wednesfield College (Specialist Engineering School) - Wednesfield
Durrington Middle School - Durrington
Ward End Primary School - Ward End
Walsgrave C E Primary School - Coventry
Durrington First School - Durrington

Larne Grammar School
Lower Cairncastle Road, BT40 1PQ,UK Larne
Tel. 028 2827 2791

School Forward

Main Entrance

Main Entrance to School

The school is situated on the outskirts of a busy town which has been described as the Gateway to Ulster.

Larne Grammar School is a co-education voluntary grammar school with 760 pupils and 50 teaching staff.

Pupils are expected to work hard and become more self-reliant as they move through the school. Highly qualified and committed staff set high academic standards which are reflected in the excellent results achieved in KS3, GCSE and A Level examinations.

The well-being and welfare of the pupils are of paramount importance. Staff try to ensure that pupils feel happy and secure at school and to support those pupils who encounter difficulties. Pupils are expected to behave in a civilised manner and to learn self-discipline and respect for others.

A wide range of cultural and sporting activities is offered. School teams and individuals excel in a number of sports and pupils are encouraged to develop and enrich their experiences through travel, cross-community links and the arts.

We seek to foster good relationships between staff; between the pupils and the staff; and between the staff and parents.

Pupil Entrance

School History

Larne Grammar School was founded in 1886 by Sir Edward Coey and Mr. John Crawford. Situated on the Lower Cairncastle Road, it occupies a beautiful site with stunning views overlooking the town of Larne, Larne Lough and Islandmagee. On a clear day the hills of Wigtownshire (Scotland) can be seen.
The Grammar School In its Early Days

The trustees of the school were granted permission to site a school, beside the Rectory in 1885, at an annual rent of one shilling per year for ten thousand years.

On Tuesday 10th April 1888, with the appointment of the school's first headmaster, Mr R.M. Jones M.A., the school opened its doors to the first pupils. However, for the following fifteen to twenty years the school struggled and was threatened with closure on many occasions.

Larne Grammar School

Larne Grammar School

By 1923 the Preparatory Department had opened and although the Grammar School had become an important aspect of Larne life, the school had made little progress, with few successes.

Up to September 1935, Larne Grammar School had always been a boys' fee paying and boarding school. There had originally been two girls' schools in the town, but this was reduced to one and in 1935 Larne Grammar School amalgamated with the girls Larne Intermediate School. Both schools were very reluctant to do so, but the amalgamation, in hindsight, saw the beginnings of success and a more stable future.

With the introduction of the qualifying examination in 1948, school entrants increased, particularly in the preparatory department, as a minimum of 20% of places were reserved for its pupils.

Current images of the school

During the 1980's, under the visionary and energetic leadership of the Headmaster, Mr. D.J. Thompson, the voluntary grammar school was virtually rebuilt and the remaining old buildings completely refurbished.

Current View of the school

primary schools in Larne, secondary schools in Larne, schools in Larne

Editorial office:
tel. + 48 (094)