In 1947 when the National Eisteddfod came to Colwyn Bay a letter was sent to its organisers to request a public meeting to discuss the possibility of opening a Welsh school in the town. Letters were distributed to the local chapels in order to form a list of names of Welsh parents in the area.
On the 8th of July two years later a meeting was held in a building belonging to the authority called Bod Alaw, at Riveres Avenue Colwyn Bay.
Ysgol Gymraeg Bod Alaw opened its doors on St David's Day in 1950 with 22 children between the ages of 4 and 8 on the register.
Within 2 years the number of children had trebled, therefore two rooms were added to the second floor of the building. By the end of 1952 there were 4 classes and 4 teachers at Bod Alaw. Due to this increase, the playground was too small.
In 1956 the building next door was purchased. The two infants classes had to move for a whole year to Douglas Road while the extension to both the building and of course the playground took place.
By the end of the 60's the school grew in size to nearly 200 children.
In 1972, 225 children moved from the site in Riveres Avenue to the present school location. The infants department has since been extended and today the building is home to 290 Welsh children.
In the year 2000 the town's park department organised for a colourful bed of flowers to be planted, near Eirias Park, to celebrate the 50th birthday of the school. A special book was published along with a cassette and CD to remember the hard work and perseverance of many people who ensured that the children of Colwyn Bay and surrounding areas received their education through the medium of Welsh.