Boskenwyn C P School was founded in 1877 to serve the local farming communities of three parishes.
The main granite building now houses the junior classroom, library and resources area, the offices and kitchen. Meals are cooked on the premises to a high standard. The Elliot Classroom adjacent to the main building provides a well appointed infants classroom. The school has a large playground, school garden, and creative play area, along with a nearby school field.
Most children come to school by car, but it is practical for some to walk or cycle to school. We are investigating the possibility of a regular bus service passing the school, as well as cycle and footways, to make travel to school safer. The villages of Gweek and Trewennack are one mile away, and Helston is about 2½ miles.
Children can begin school part time for 1 hour per week with their carer at age 3, gradually progressing to become full time pupils in the term in which they have their fifth birthday. They then go through the school to the age of eleven, after which they usually transfer to Helston or Mullion Community Schools, depending on parents' preference and geographical location.
The school recognises the benefits of being a small unit in which everybody respects others’ needs. Staff, governors and parents work closely together to provide a happy environment for all, and this spills over into the attitudes of our children. We also value working in a group of small primary schools called Helston Country Cluster which enables the children to come together for curriculum activities and social events.