(extracts from article in Kegword Millennium Special Edition, with their kind permission)
Kegworth Primary School today is situated on the High Street, has around 170 pupils on the roll, and children attend from age 4 to 10 years.
Harrison House on the Eastside of the Churchyard was the site of the first school, converted from two old cottages, and begun in 1575. In 1844 a new school was built on The Dragwell (now St Andrew's Church Hall). Education at this time was for boys only.
John Roper was one of the first school masters appointed in 1822 and serving for nearly 30 years. In 1845 an infants section was formed, a Mistress appointed, and older girls allowed at the school. At this time there were around 50 boys attending the school.
A revised code for schools in 1862 under Government Inspection gave schools "payment by results" and the schools had to keep logbooks and attendance registers. A two-part grant was paid for average attendance per child, and for results of examinations. The attendance record caused the most concern, as boys were often absent to assist with the harvesting of crops grown in the surrounding countryside.
Girls finally became established at the school in 1873, and had their own separate rooms. In 1876 Mr Thomas took over as Headmaster of the boys school and was in post for 43 years.
The County Council tool over the charge of the school in 1909. In 1913 land on Derby Road was purchased with the intention of building a school, but the outbreak of war put a stop to any such plans. In 1924 the infants and girls amalgamated and five years later children above the age of 12 years were transferred to Castle Donington. By the year 1929, four busloads a day went to Castle Donington School, at a weekly cost of ?5. The school on Dragwell, however, was totally inadequate for the number of children and in terms of facilities. The Medical Officer of the time described it as "appalling and abominable".
The economic recession which dominated the 1930s delayed the building of a new school, and it was not until April 1939 that the new school was opened on High Street.
Mr F.W.Roberts took over as Headmoaster in February 132, taking over from Mr E.Burley. Mr Roberts was to have a long stay as Headmaster, twenty-seven years, Mr I.Westhead took over from him in 1959 where he stayed for the next 30 years, until 1989. Tragically Mr Westhead died suddenly just after retirement and his dynamic personality, and energy were greatly missed by many villagers, as he was involved in numerous community events, clubs and societies, as well as school matters.
Mr R.Osborn took over from Mr Westhead for a brief period, and Mr D Mills the present head took over from him in January 1994.
Schooling in Kegworth has moved a long way from the unsanitary conditions of The Dragwell School. The children sport smart red sweatshirts and are involved in many varied activities. The policy is still to bus children to Castle Donington at the age of 10 to 14 years, and then they transfer to Hind Leys Community College at Shepshed.
Kegworth School holds lots of happy memories for whole generations of children - those unforgettable school years when friendships are formed, your intellect is moulded and all those memories are built - which stay with you for a lifetime.
The School Colours are:
Red - Jumpers / Sweatshirts / Cardigans
Grey - Skirts / Trousers / Dresses
White - Shirts / Blouses
For Summer wear we suggest a red and white striped or checked dresses for the girls and grey shorts and white polo shirts for the boys.
Sweatshirts and polo shirts with the school name printed on are available from the office (prices on request)
The wearing of school uniform is not compulsory but we would like all parents to support the policy that all children should wear the school colours to foster a sense of belonging to, and pride in Kegworth School