Welcome to our school
Bishops Cannings Primary School lies three miles to the north-east of Devizes in Wiltshire, in a rural farming community with good access to Devizes and the A361. Buses bring children into school from Devizes and surrounding communities.
Our school is at the centre of the village and has its own large playing field and views over the neighbouring downs.
We are a caring Christian learning community, promoting the value of family life and encouraging active participation within the school and the wider community.
We offer a range of educational opportunities using the best and most appropriate teaching and learning styles to help realise the child's individual potential.
The shared high expectations of teachers, parents and governors in every aspect of school life encourage each child to grow and learn with confidence and to take pride in achievement.
The school educates children so that they:
· are literate, numerate and articulate
· acquire understanding, knowledge and skills relevant to adult life and employment
· develop lively, inquiring minds; have the ability to question and argue rationally; and apply themselves both mentally and physically
· find pleasure in learning and experience success
· develop personal moral values, respect for religious values, and understanding of other races, religions and ways of life
· develop creativity and aesthetic awareness
· value human achievement and aspirations.
These aims are reviewed regularly by staff. The school curriculum is concerned with the highest possible personal development of each pupil.
The school offers an extended school scheme run by the staff of the pre-school in the pre-school's new building. Parents can subscribe to this scheme for which there is a charge.
A breakfast club runs from 7.30 a.m. to the start of school and children can have breakfast and take part in activities. They are accompanied into the main school at the start of normal school day.
An after-school club runs from the end of the normal school day until 6.00 p.m. The children are accompanied to the pre-school, where refreshments are available and they take part in activities.