This is a Methodist Church Controlled School working under the guidance of Wakefield Metropolitan District Council Education Department.
As a Methodist school it is unique within Wakefield and one of only a few within Yorkshire.
We hope you find this site interesting and informative and if your child joins us you enjoy our school, and the time with us as we endeavour to develop your child's full potential. We like and take pride in our school and hope you will too.
We value the individual - while providing the finest care and education.
This is a relatively small inner city primary school established on its present site in 1974. Previously the original Methodist school had been in Thornhill Street, Wakefield. We have an excellent reputation for our pastoral care for pupils. The staff believe firmly that all children are individuals and are treated as such, encouraging them to always do their best, work hard but to enjoy their time with us.
Test results have reflected the schools improving qualities and we continue to be one of the highest achieving schools within the Wakefield Local Education Authority(LEA), as well as being recognised as one of the highest attaining 200 schools in the country for KS2 results in 2001 and 2004.
As a Methodist Controlled school we are unique within Wakefield and the surrounding area and our reputation as a caring, community school with a Christian ethos is growing. We attract pupils from far beyond our designated catchment area and expect to be near our redefined capacity for the summer term 2008. We currently have 253 pupils on roll, aged 3-11 (Sept 06). Our gender intake is mixed with up to 10% from different cultural backgrounds.
We have an excellent foundation stage unit which introduces children and parents to our school.
As a popular, friendly school, of open plan structure, and on one level, we attract a high proportion of special needs children for which we cater individually and our rising pupil roll reflects how successful we are at integrating all pupils. To enhance this further we are currently working with the local education department to develop an integrated Autistic and Speech & Language Resource Unit within school to offer excellent facilities, trained staff, and integration with our pupils at every opportunity.
- Our levels of individual pupil attainment remains high and maintains our position when compared with other Wakefield schools.
- We score above our benchmark group in the Autumn Package and Panda for level 4.
- We maintain a high level of pupil support for all our children especially those with Special Educational Needs(SEN) through LEA provided Special Needs Support Service(SNSS) and those financed through our own budget.
- We have achieved Investors in People status as recognition of our commitment to developing our staff potential.
- We have also achieved the Basic Skills Quality Mark as recognition of our commitment to improving the core subjects for all pupils.
- In 2001 & 2004 we were granted a School Achievement Award for our improved attainment.
- In 2002 we gained a School Attainment Award for our 100% achievement at level 4 for the KS2 subjects of English, Mathematics and Science.
- To achieve this we emphasise development opportunities for all staff to build a well motivated and enthusiastic team.
- The school environment is attractive, both inside and out, and is we believe one of the best positioned inner city schools close to the centre of Wakefield.