We are most fortunate in the school's general appearance and location. Built within the grounds of a lovely Elizabethan mansion, Shaw House School gives all who work here a special sense of identity and pride. We would like to share its atmosphere with you.
We strongly encourage prospective parents and their children to visit the school. We are proud of our school, enjoy showing it to visitors and arrange a number of occasions during the year for this purpose. In addition, you may want to make an appointment to see the school at work during a normal day.
We like to think the atmosphere here is a friendly one. There is a strong sense of community which reinforces our values and aspirations. Indeed, Inspectors have commented most favourably on the general ethos of the school which has such a positive effect on pupil 's attitudes. The moderate size of the school contributes to the community spirit. Our pupils have ready access to excellent facilities and are individually known by most staff. Departments too, are able to communicate with each other easily, co-ordinating the work given to pupils as well as collaborating on projects which range across a number of subject disciplines. This is one aspect of the school's activity which has won wide acclaim beyond the school.
The school's motto "Towards Understanding" sums up very well the broad aims of a curriculum in which academic and personal development are given strong emphasis. Education is about reaching the highest possible standards. As a school, we naturally place strong emphasis on intellectual development but this principle extends beyond academic achievement to consideration for others, individual initiative and matters of personal appearance. Shaw House seeks to ensure the rounded development of all pupils. Particular stress is laid on high academic achievement by a well qualified staff..
Good personal relationships are central to the school's philosophy. Heads of Year and Form Tutors are responsible for the same pupils for five years. This commitment ensures that parents have a consistent point of contact throughout a pupil ' s time here. We believe education is a partnership between pupil, parent and teacher. We do our job better because we work together.
RESULTS1. Outstanding Achievement: Courtney Lane one of the best results in the country.
Courtney gained 9 A* passes, 2 A passes, 1 B in A/AS level Additional Mathematics and the Diploma of Vocational Education.
2. Boys at Shaw House beat the national trend by narrowing the margin between boys and girls gaining 5 A C passes.
3. Vocational Qualitications: We are one of the few schoois to offer Vocational Qualifications so widely, to all abilities and to nearly 70% of the Year. This year a 100% pass rate was achieved, a rare accomplishment.
1. Information Technology
- New suite of networked PC computers installed in partnership with Research Machines of Abingdon.
- All machines are linked to the Internet via an ISDN line. Every pupil can have access to the World Wide Web.
- Video conferencing facilities will be available to pupils for face to face communication with students in other European countries.
- Another dedicated Information Technology room for whole class use.
- Science and Mathematics departments with their own suite of machines.
- Continuing improvement of IT facilities in the Library and English areas.
- Control technology machines and new PCs in Technology area.
2. Europe and Modern Foreign Languages
- A European Room linked to the Internet which will allow pupils to communicate with their European counterparts in every country in the EC.
- Links established with schools in France, Austria and the Czech Republic. Pupil and teacher exchanges with these countries to become a part of the communication links.
3. Extension of Technology and Art facilities (new 3D and Art/Textiles rooms)
4. New investment to modernise and develop new Science labs and facilities. This is a part of our whole school strategy for the use of technology across the curriculum. The Introduction in September of a further suite of computers to run 'success maker' an Integrated Learning System.
5. New Drama studio created close to our main performance area.