Headteacher - Mr J Berry BA
St Peter's is a school, which seeks to ensure equality, which promotes a sense of responsibility, encourages empathy and a supportive atmosphere. It is a place where opportunities are offered where all are challenged to give of their best and where perseverance, rigour and high standards of achievement are valued. St Peter's is also an integral part of the local community. Parental involvement in school is encouraged, as are connections with local institutions and businesses. The school also has a special relationship with the church. Founded 150 years ago, St Peter's has a sense of place and tradition where Christian values are promoted.
The origins of the schools in the village of Horbury can be put down to one man. He was a priest at St Peter's Church and his name was John Sharp. He arrived in 1834 at the age of 24. He was disappointed to find no school or Sunday School in Horbury and started his own in the back room of the vicarage. Demand for places grew and he had to relocate to rooms opposite the church.
St Peter's National School soon came about, it was founded in 1849 and the National Society granted £160 towards the cost of the building. The education act of 1870 brought free education for all the children in Great Britain, by then St Peter's was already twenty one years old.
Due to rising numbers the buildings were enlarged in 1869 by building a new infants school. They were enlarged again in 1898 with the Rev John Sharp conducting the service. The headmaster was called Mr Sutch and he was guaranteed a wage of £150 per year.
St Peter's at this point was a school for infants and then boys and girls up to the age of 14. This was to change in 1951 when it changed to a primary and infant school. In 1955 things were to be changed again when Clifton Infants opened leaving St Peter's as a junior school. In 1984 St Peter's moved from it's old site on Queen Street to our present location on Shepstye Road.