In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries the boundary of Lancing Manor was marked with large stones. One was sited in Boundstone Lane,marking the western edge of Lancing and separating Lancing from Sompting. The Bound Stone, after which the College is named, is now located on a brick plinth at the front of the College admin building.
The plans for Boundstone School were drawn up in the late 1950s and it was officially opened by Sir John Hunt, C.B.E, D.S.O. on 18th October 1963. Since then the school has expanded, with buildings added in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s. The College opened a £1.4 million Performing Arts building in September 2004.
Boundstone is a co-educational comprehensive school for pupils aged 12 to 18, with over 1000 students, including 110 in the Sixth Form, serving the communities of Lancing, Sompting and East Worthing. In addition the College has a Youth Wing and provides a rich and varied Community Education program attracting many adults to evening and weekend activities. It has become a successful and thriving Community College, and was awarded Specialist College Status for the Performing Arts in September 2002.