Payhembury is a thriving village consisting of a church, primary school, village shop and post office, a pub, two garages and many other local businesses.
The community is very active with a range of events and activities to suit all age groups, examples of which are: a youth club, mother's union, toddler group, short mat bowls and dancing. The activities change with the seasons.
Our community continues to echo it's past...
Payhembury, formerly known as pehembury, is a very ancient village and local books written about Payhembury suggest that Man has been in and around the village for 4000 years or more.
The village is first mentioned in the Doomsday Book which states that Baldwin the Sheriff of Devon owned Payhembury which at the time had a population of 90 people.
The Church embodies much of Payhembury's history still and many of the houses in the parish are 300-400 years old.
As expected, Payhembury was home to many professional trades:
- The local butcher would only use animals from local farms and markets - The deal on the farm often being struck over a glass of whisky or wine;
- The thatcher - the reed always being supplied by the owner;
- The harness maker - the apprenticeship was for 5 years and from 1906 the wages being 1/- per week to start for a 12 hour day;
- The wheelwright and carpenter - Payhembury employing at one time some 20 craftsmen.
While many of the tradesmen are no longer actively in employment, the village still thrives.
As part of the Millennium celebrations, a Payhembury Book Group was formed and produced an excellent book on the history of Payhembury, titled Payhembury Millennium Book.