|Priory R C Primary School|
|St Catherine's Road, TQ1 4NZ Torquay|
Welcome to Priory Roman Catholic Primary School
On behalf of the Governors and Staff I would like to extend a warm welcome to you and your child. I hope that you will find the information in this website useful and that it will give you some idea of the life and work of the school, as well as our sense of aims and values.
Your child is very special. We hope we can work in partnership to create a bond of trust and support between home and school for your child.
This is a small school in which we hope to foster a real family atmosphere and a caring Christian Community, hard working and courteous. Each child is encouraged to feel confident of his or her own worth and ability. We believe that a school is made up of people and not buildings and in the light of this we hope everyone in our school community enjoys being a member of it, and feels a personal commitment to is because it is 'ours'.
Priory School is a Roman Catholic (Voluntary Aided) Primary School for children aged 4 to 11 and is closely linked with the Parish and Diocese. Whilst the majority of children in our school are Catholic, where space is available we also admit children whose parents wish their children to receive a Catholic education. All children are treated equally within the school.
The Catholic Faith is central to the day to day life of our school and to all aspects of the curriculum, it is not an added extra. We place importance upon prayer and gospel values as well as R.E. lessons, acts of worship and assemblies.
Schools are changing all the time, of course, as the children and adults in them change. This brochure is intended to give information about the school at present. It is accurate at the time of going to press, but some things may alter during the year and it should not be assumed that there will be no variation before the start of or during the school year.
If you would like to know more about Priory, then you are welcome to come and look around the school and to talk to me.
Mrs S Barreto
Make Priory R.C. Primary School a place where God's love for us is shared and nurtured by:
- Helping all children and adults, in our School community, to live their lives based on the Gospel values
- Recognising that all individuals have their own gifts to offer.
- Creating a happy, friendly, family spirit within the school
- Making space each day for sincere moments of prayer, reflection and worship.
Make Priory R.C. Primary School a place where the teachings of Christ can be seen and followed by:
- Showing proper respect for each other, as Christ is present within us all
- Promoting positive attitudes and behaviour;
- Treating misdemeanours with justice and forgiveness;
- Following Christ’s example and showing appropriate pleasure towards success, but also to be kind and supportive towards those with troubles.
- Providing experiences through which children learn co-operation and respect for others.
Provide the firm foundations for successful lifelong learning by:
- Valuing the individual qualities of each child and encouraging them to aim for their best in everything they do
- Providing excellent and inspirational teaching that results in high standards
- Providing a broad, balanced and extended curriculum based upon the needs and interests of our community
- Showing we are a ‘learning community’ where the learning of adults and children is actively encouraged
- Providing a safe and stimulating environment in which to learn
- Helping children understand the world in which they live.
- Listening to children and parents
Develop a partnership in faith building together with parents and the parish by:
- Developing strong and positive links between school and home. Parents are the first teachers of their children.
- Striving for good, positive, formal and informal links between school and parish
- Being an active part of the faith development of our pupils, alongside parents and parish, by giving children the foundations of Love, Peace and Justice.
We honour God through our actions
This school aims to create a caring Christian environment which helps children to become aware of God’s presence in their lives and makes then aware of the need to be caring towards others. It values the individual qualities of each child and encourages them to aim for their best in everything they do - whether this is class work, games, behaviour or anything else connected with school.
We hope that the Catholic ethos of Priory School helps to create a synthesis between tradition and the need to develop a curriculum appropriate for children growing up in the next century.
In summary, our main aims are to:
- Nourish the growth of mind and body in each child by developing his/her abilities, talents and interests.
- Nurture the spiritual development within each child.
- Create a happy family spirit promoting a caring Christian environment.
- Foster the social and personal and cultural development of each child.
- Provide the firm foundations for successful learning.
- Help the child understand the world in which he/she lives.
- Provide experiences through which the child learns co-operation and respect for others.
primary schools in Torquay,
secondary schools in Torquay,
schools in Torquay