There are records of schools in Thorverton over at least three hundred and fifty years. The present school was erected on Glebe land in 1842 and after 1944 became a Church of England Voluntary Controlled Primary School under the Devon Local Education Authority ( L.E.A.).
Today there are around 75 children on roll in three classes. The teaching staff is augmented by teachers on short-term contracts when pupil numbers increase. There is a teaching assistant in each class. Parents and local people give practical support in many ways in school including reading support, running the library, sewing, cooking, gardening, games and visits.
Many of the parents and grandparents were themselves pupils here, and there is a good tradition of the school being used by the whole community .
The School has strong links with the Village Playgroup, which most children attend before starting school.
When they leave at the end of Year 6, the children normally transfer to Queen Elizabeth’s Community College, Crediton, to which the L.E.A. provide daily transport.
Our vision for Thorverton School:
Our learners will develop the skills to be proactive and responsible
citizens in a changing world.