We welcome you and your family most warmly into the Woodbury Salterton Church of England Primary School community and feel sure that, the time you spend with us will be made up of many positive experiences, which you will carry with you into the future.
Our School is a co-educational school for children from 4 - 11 years and is situated in a beautiful rural location, approximately 4 miles from the heart of Exeter, which provides a warm, friendly and safe environment where your child’s individual needs, talents and abilities will be recognised. Children are encouraged to make positive progress in their development and learning and are given every opportunity to achieve their highest personal educational development. Our small numbers (between 90 and 100 children in the school depending on the time of the year) and our experienced, committed staff ensure that the academic and pastoral needs of each child are met. In a Christian Community where all relationships are based upon respect, we will encourage your child to be courteous and considerate as indicated in our school ethos statement “The school aims to serve its community by providing an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian values.” We believe that this foundation prepares the children in our school to cope with all that their future lives will bring.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
‘Within a Christian environment we aim to educate and encourage every child to live happily with others and to develop and make the best of his or her ability. Everybody is special, and we believe in you not only as you are but also in what you might become’.
· To maintain and develop links with the church and the community and for the children to experience a Christian environment.
· To ensure that all children achieve their full potential and develop talents and academic abilities to the highest standards.
· To develop pupils’ enjoyment of, enthusiasm for, and commitment to learning and achieving.
· For all children to learn independently and collaboratively within school and outside school as part of the community.
· To ensure that all children have a broad and balanced curriculum that meets the criteria of the National Curriculum.
This is a Church of England school in the Diocese of Exeter. Recognising its historic foundation, the school will preserve and develop its religious character in accordance with the principles and practice of the Church of England and in partnership with the church in the parish and the diocese.
The school aims to serve its community by providing an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian belief and practice. It encourages an understanding of the meaning and significance of faith, and promotes Christian values through the experiences it offers to all its pupils.
Our Curriculum Aims
The governing body has adopted the National Curriculum 2000. Our main aims are:
· To develop lively, enquiring minds, together with a willingness to ask questions, to think rationally and to use imagination.
· To think creatively and critically, to solve problems and to make a difference for the better.
· To gain knowledge, skills and understanding appropriate to a fast changing world so that they may be self-reliant and adaptable, and able to take an active role in society
· To grow in confidence and independence, and to know the value of co-operation
· To acquire in particular the enabling skills of literacy, numeracy and information and communication technology
· To understand the feelings of others, to respect their values, and to consider thoughtfully their own attitudes, values and beliefs
· To achieve their true potential, and to take pride in that achievement, whilst taking pleasure in the achievement of others
· To develop their physical skills and encourage them to recognise the importance of pursuing a healthy lifestyle and keeping themselves and others safe
· To prepare pupils for the next steps in their education
We endeavour to maintain strong links with the community, including the church, pre-school groups, secondary schools and local organisations. Our PTA is very active in support of the school, organising a range of events throughout the year for both children and adults. Funds raised provide additional resources for the benefit of the children.