On behalf of the school Governors, the staff and myself, welcome!
Thank you for your interest in our school. We extend a warm welcome to children and families of children who wish to find out more about us. If your child is about to join us for the first time, we welcome you as parents and look forward to a happy and successful association over the coming years.
These pages provide you with information on the school, its aims, its curriculum and activities and something of its organisation.
Sarah Bennett - Acting Headteacher
Come and Visit us
This website can only provide a snapshot of what life is like at Wynstream. We warmly encourage visits to the school and appointments can be made through the school office (Tel. No. 01392 284995).
Wynstream’s mission is to provide the highest quality education for all its pupils. This will be achieved by developing and extending their knowledge, skills and understanding within a stimulating, academically challenging and caring environment.
At Wynstream we aim to:
- enrich all children’s lives through a creative and relevant curriculum which takes account of individual needs and provides appropriate challenge to secure high achievement.
- develop policy and practice that is flexible enough to support all children living in our school community
- engender a love of learning which will be carried through into adult life
- engage parents/carers, other providers and agencies to support learning and positive behaviour within and beyond the school community
- support the development of children’s self-esteem, and encourage a sense of belonging and confidence
- foster strong aspirations, respect, positive attitudes, self–awareness and empathy
We aim to create a caring, secure environment where everyone will work happily together.
We believe that children should be able to read, write, spell and compute confidently. They need to learn the basics and learn them well. Children should be able to use these skills and apply them in a variety of situations. We also believe that children should enjoy the process. Throughout the curriculum we try to allow the children to really experience their learning, through visitors, visits and special themed days. We aim at all times to match this learning experience to the needs of individual children to produce the best results.
The National Curriculum is followed by all children. The National Curriculum is made up of core subjects and foundation subjects. It contains guidelines and prescribes skills and concepts that children are entitled to be taught. The core subjects are English, Science and Mathematics, the foundation subjects are History, Geography, Music, Art, Technology, Information Technology and Physical Education. We also follow the Devon Agreed Syllabus for RE. There are times when these subjects are taught jointly under a theme to allow the children to immerse themselves within a topic.
We have school policies to cover the teaching of the National Curriculum and also areas of school management such as discipline. These policies are drawn up by the teachers and ratified by the Governing Body. The policies are available in school for parents to read if you wish to see them.