Clent School opened in October 1705. John Amphlett, of Clent House, the major landowner in the village financed and built the school.
He devolved £200 "for paying a fit and proper person to teach in an 'English School' or as far as the rules of Latin grammar, and for instructing six children of the poor persons who are natives of the village of Clent". He also built a house for the first schoolmaster who was Humphrey Pretty.
A stone tablet on the front of the school read:
To the pious memory of John Amphlett, Esq. He was a person illustrious
for his exemplary Humility, Justice and Charity and even while living became
the Founder of the School, but died whilst designing its further advancement.
And enlarged by John Amphlett, Esq.of this Parish in 1847.
Little is known about the school until 1863 when the first log book appeared. It was then known as Clent National School.
The Infant School was built in 1863 by the Thatcher/Durant family so from then on children aged 7 or 8 transferred to the "Big School".
Later the name changed to Clent Parochial School. Children could leave at 12 if they passed the Labour Certificate.
In 1939 the Grange School in Stourbridge opened and all 11 year olds went there or to a Grammar School, so now the name changed to Clent Parochial Junior School. In 1964 the two schools combined to become Clent Parochial Primary School on two sites. The Infant building, opposite the Church, becoming the Infant Classroom. The old school becoming two Junior classrooms.
In 1974 the current school was built at Holy Cross with three classrooms, large hall, well equipped staff room and all items needed for modern education, complete with a playing field on the site. As local schools were again reorganized pupils left at 9 to go to Hagley Middle School. The school now became known as Clent Parochial First School. The ancient bell that used to call the children to school was eventually transferred to the present site.
Further improvements were made over the subsequent 30 years but in 2004 following yet another reorganization, major expansion and refurbishment took place and the school reverted to the name Clent Parochial Primary School.
E.J. Partington. Headmaster 1955 - 1985
Resident of Clent