To raise educational standards through effective practice and share
this with the wider community’.
The general aim of Sandwell Academy is to maximise student performance in all its forms. We offer a broad curriculum which includes the National Curriculum with the opportunity of specialising in more Physical Education and Business Enterprise. In the Post 16 phase, we provide a wide range of vocational and academic opportunities for students of all abilities, emphasizing opportunities in Physical Education, Sport, Business Enterprise and use of Information Technology where appropriate.
· To admit students of all abilities.
· To improve attendance to that above local and national average.
· To develop qualities of enterprise, self reliance and responsibility.
· To involve, as fully as possible, the wider community, including industry, business, commerce and parents in the education and training of the students.
· To operate a longer school day.
· To share research with the neighbouring schools and the educational community and where possible support collaborative developments locally.
· To remove the artificial barrier that exists between vocational and A Level courses.
· To improve Post 16 staying on rates to that comparable with France, Germany, USA and Japan.
· To deliver the National Curriculum with extra Physical Education and Business Enterprise.
· To develop students as independent learners preparing them for life long learning.
· To ensure that all students obtain their educational entitlement, irrespective of gender, religion, ethnicity or special need.
Message from the head
Dear Students and Parents,
In September 2006, Sandwell Academy opened its doors for the first time with an intake of 330 students. In September 2007 a further 180 eleven year old students and 150 sixth form students will join the existing students which opened in September 2006. The Academy opened with its first cohort of 180 year 7 students and 150 sixth form students and will grow with similar cohurt to a full enrolment in September 2010 of 1200 students.
Sandwell Academy is one of the proposed 400 other Academies to be established in England and is sponsored by Thomas Telford School, The Mercers’ Company, HSBC Education Trust, West Bromwich Albion FC and Tarmac Group Ltd. The generous funding of the Academy by its sponsors in joint partnership with the government means that free education is provided for all students. There are no fees and applications are invited from students whatever their ability. Students joining the Academy will study at a brand new school with excellent facilities, furnished to a high standard with the most modern equipment in all areas, especially within Sport, Business and Information Communication Technology (ICT). Students are already benefiting from an exciting, challenging and creative educational experience, which replicates all the successful practice of Thomas Telford School, the top-performing comprehensive in England. All students are recognized and passed to achieve consistently high individual status. Expectations are very high and attendance and punctuality is very good. Our students are well-mannered and well-behaved and responsible conforming to Academy standards and dress code.
Sandwell Academy has quickly established a flourishing programme of activities offered in session 3 and many of our students take part in our extended day to develop their interests and learn new skills.